Well the day finally arrived. I remember holding a newborn baby boy in my arms just days ago. I was telling him all the exciting things he would do someday. He would play baseball, serve a mission, watch Star Wars movies with his dad and go to school one day. That today was the day, kindergarten. Luke is in Mrs. Frisbee's class at Rideout Elementary.
He has been nervous and excited all weekend. I think taking him to the parents meeting on Thursday night really helped. We were able to go into his classroom, see where he will sit and look around the classroom. It gave us the time to look around and show Luke all the cool things that he will do this school year. On Friday at orientation we took all his school supplies for the year. Such a great idea! I didn't feel rushed last night making sure his backpack was packed.
Todd gave Luke a father's blessing last night. It was such a wonderful experience for us. Todd explained the priesthood to Luke and showed him pictures of Jesus Christ giving blessings to his apostles. Some of the blessings mentioned: Heavenly Father is aware of you and has a great love for you, your mother loves you and to treat her with kindness and respect, a mind that will be receptive to what you will learn this year, be able to apply the knowledge for good, to listen, to follow through with instructions, have fun learning. And to surround himself with good friends. Afterwards, he told us that he wasn't too nervous anymore. We told him that if he gets nervous or scared at school to think about how good he feels right now and Jesus will help him. He got a big smile on his face.
This morning, he got himself up and dressed. He was so excited. Big surprise...we were late on the first day! We were taking too many pictures this morning. As were walking up to the front door, the pledge of allegienance is being said on the speakers. We took him into his classroom, placed his backpack and lunch box in his cubby and took him to his seat. Mrs. Frisbee had his box of supplies ready for him to color a picture of the school mascot, a roadrunner. We took a few more pics and I gave him a big hug, a kiss and said the I love you's. I turned to see him sitting there starting to color and he looked like he had sat in that chair a hundred times before.
I choose to sit in the parent pick up line and it only took about 20 minutes till we were sitting in front of the school showing the safety patrol our parent pick up slip. He got into the car and says 'Why didn't you walk up and get me? You're suppose to walk up there, not sit in the car.' That was his only complaint for the entire day. Also, he got a green smily face. That is the highest mark to get on the behavior chart for the day. When he has 30 green smily faces in a row, we'll buy him a gator jersey. He says on the way home, 'Mom, I got a green smily face today. One down on my way to 30 for my gator jersey.'
I am so excited for all this school year has to offer him. His class is small (15 students). And I think at the smaller school he'll succeed and really enjoy it. Can't wait to hear how day 2 goes....
Yay! You started a blog! I'm glad Luke had a great first day. Mandy's was great too! Hope he gets his 30 green smilies on the first 30 days of school!
ReplyDelete